Saturday, April 7, 2012

Whirligig!

Such a beautiful sunny day, it seems spring might really have arrived.  I've had a project in the works for many, many months.  A whirligig for my garden.  I have collected two bins of metal objects (pan lids, cups, tea pots and more).  Most of the items have been acquired from Goodwill but then as usual word-of-mouth spreads and the next thing you know everyone getting ready for a garage sale has things to give you (great fun!! and cheaper too).  One of my bins filled with copper cups, jello molds, colander, and even a great serving dish (chafing dish?).  

So today the project got off the ground.  I could not have even begun without the help of my amazing talented husband.  We bought a galvanized pipe for a post and a bell fitting to attach a bicycle hub to the top of the post.  I found the bicycle wheel at the Cracked Pots sale (McMenamins Edgefield) in the Metro Recycle bin...free is a very good price.  Scott gave it a good cleaning and greasing, something a new hub probably wouldn't have required.  I think the designing, deciding which item goes where, might be the challenging part but we got a good start today and might be able to finish it up this week. 

I will definitely be posting pictures.  I can already picture it getting a lovely green patina and spinning in the gentle summer breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment